Saturday, August 25, 2012

Today we made a day trip with great friends, the Singers, to Crystal Cave in WI.  I went to this cave as a little girl and we see the sign for it every time we visit my grandparents and have always wanted to go. 
 In the picture you can see crystal rocks to the left that are in the opening which is why the cave is named "Crystal Cave."  Between Kendrick and Isaac is one of the only rocks we were able to touch.  It is grey and shiny and . . . wet.  You are not allowed to touch the cave as it destroys it in time.
Stalagmites and stalactites.  It takes one hundred years to form one inch.  I learned so much about caves during the tour, as well as bats.
 Some of the cave explorers.
After out tour, all the kids got to pan for gems.  Lauren found many cool gems in her bag of mining rough. 
 Kendrick took his time and found every gem he could - big or little.
 Lauren enjoyed Crystal Cave - I was a little worried about her going into a dark cave with her recent fear of darkness, but she did great.
 Lauren found a shark tooth in her mining rough and is very proud of it!
Isaac found many gems as well.  They all had a great time. 
 After the tour, a picnic lunch and panning their mining rough. . . I let the boys pick out and purchase a geo rock.  They had to pick carfully to find one that is light - not heavy - because that means it will be hollow with crystals.  The guy there broke it open by tighting it.  Each of them got to keep half of the rock.
Inside were beautiful crystals.  I still have my rock that I got from Crystal Cave probably over 20 years ago and I am thinking the boys with cherish their rocks just the same.  It was a great day, doing something very different and fun, with some of our favorite friends.  The best part is. . . Scott was unable to join us so we will have to go back and do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment